Nissan Proximity Key HOW TO Change key battery
Nissan have made a new type of car key that looks like a teardrop. When you have to change the key battery on the Nissan proximity key , it’s very easy to damage the key.
We say this because when we change the key batteries in our shop, they often damaged or in a poor state because owners have struggled to open them. So, this is designed to stop that problem.
If you want to change your own key battery on your Nissan proximity key, here’s how to do it. Our YouTube channel has a video to help you. The link is below.
- Screwdriver that is as wide as the slot. If you choose a smaller one, it will just twist in the slot and damage it. The screwdriver head needs to be a good snug fit.
- One CR 2025 battery. Buy a good one please. Maxell, Sony, Panasonic and Duracell are all good makes.
First off, be careful. We see damage to these keys caused by heavy-handiness and this causes the car not to start! Click here Read our article that shows what happens.
However, if you’re careful you’ll be fine, just have a light hand and follow these instructions. There’s a video at the end of the article.
Replace Nissan Proximity key battery
- Remove the hidden key blade which is very simple to do. Slide the catch on the back of the key to one side and pull on the key loop to remove the blade.
- Find the slot on the end of the key.
- Insert the screwdriver head into the slot (see photo below). This is a very shallow depth, so it is important that the head fits correctly. If the screwdriver is too small, it will just dig into the side of the slot and damage it, but not open the key up. When the screwdriver head is a good fit, the slot will not get damaged.
- Hold the screwdriver firmly in the slot and twist the screwdriver until you hear a ‘crack’. This noise means the key is open, and you’ll find that they are a very tight fit when new
- Now use the screwdriver on the outside body of the key to open it up fully (see photo below).
- Separate the two halves of the key.
- Notice that when the CR2025 battery is fitted correctly, you cannot read the writing on the key. The positive terminal is face down.
- Snap the key back together and replace the emergency blade.
- The Remote buttons of you Nissan Proximity key should now work. If they do not, it will need programming. This can only be done using diagnostic equipment, so either the Nissan dealer, or an independent Auto Locksmith (Just search Programme Nissan Car key Nebraska, or whatever city you live in), will need to programme it.
Once you’ve opened a gap, pull apart the two halves.
Rather watch a video?
More Questions about changing your car key battery?
Click here to read all about our general advice on changing the car key battery
This post contains affiliate links.
Links on this website may lead you to a product or service. They provide an affiliate commission to the owners of this site should you make a purchase. In no way does any affiliate relationship ever factor into a recommendation. Nor does it alter the integrity of the information we provide.
Please note that we have not been given any free products, services, or anything else by these companies in exchange for mentioning them on the site. The only consideration is in the form of affiliate commissions.